Monday 23 December 2013

Mornings in La Hoya

So, it’s the school holidays but it is almost impossible to sleep in in the morning. This week these are some of the things that I have been woken up by:

- Children imitating the turkeys next door then the turkeys responding
- Miss Mish (the  COPA cat) meowing for food outside my door
- Roody (the local carpenter) and his workmen doing something which sounded like grinding metal outside at 7am when they came to fix the office door.
- Cockerels which think its time to wake everyone up at 2am
- people from the Catholic church in the village going carol singing at 4am with a scraper board! 
- Mota (our next door neighbour) grinding chicken feed
- Mota playing really loud Christian music at 8am on a Saturday!
- Mota having what sounded like a full blown domestic next door but was probably just a discussion about what they were going to eat for breakfast (Dominicans tend to shout… a lot!)
- Mota’s family thinking its OK to watch Mama Mia at full blast at 7am
- Mota having a confused Spanish conversation with Cathy (the new health adviser who doesn’t speak much Spanish): 
     Mota: (shouting in Spanish) ‘Cathy how are you?’
     Cathy: (in English) ‘I don’t understand’.
     Mota: (in Spanish) ‘say ‘I’m fine…. I’m fine’’.
     Cathy: (in Spanish) ‘I’m fine’.
     Mota: (in Spanish) ‘ that’s good, I’m fine too’.
Now, I didn’t think there was much need to shout this across the garden right outside my window at 7.30am.

These things can be annoying especially when it’s the start of the holidays and you were looking forward to a lie in. However, mostly they really are just hilarious and I actually get up in a really good mood after being woken up by whatever variety of random things have happened in the small hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment