Friday 31 January 2014

Film Night; and …I’m loving life!


Last week the local youth group threw a fundraising film night in church to raise money for their biannual youth camp. All the children from school and lots of people from the local community went which made for a very… lively few hours. We arrived and sat down in a fairly deserted hall at 6.30ish, however, in classic Dominican style the opening credits didn't start rolling until 7.45. And so, a few bags of popcorn later and surrounded by babbling children we tried to settle down to watch the genius that is ‘Facing the Giants’. Despite the best efforts of the organizers everyone seemed unaware of the film playing in front of them and chatted pretty solidly for the first half an hour (good to know that they aren't just mental in my classes!) However after a wee while everyone settled down and actually got really involved, so much so that when the narrative reached its climax (one of the characters scored a vital point) all the children followed the example of the actors on screen and started yelling, clapping and running outside, - one way to clear the hall! As a result, the remaining twenty or so people were able to enjoy the last fifteen minutes in relative peace.
Despite the craziness, and probably a little bit because of it, it was a really brilliant night. I loved being in the hall surrounded by people you know, kids you teach who come up and fist pump you, play with your hair, sit on your knee or whisper unintelligible Spanish to you through mouths crammed with popcorn. It made me realise how much I have come to love living in a small community. Whilst there are obvious disadvantages (no secrets in La Hoya!) I really am having the time of my life. I love walking through the village and knowing and saying hello to everyone I pass. I love hearing the shout of ‘hola teeaaccher!’ around every corner. I love the feeling of being part of the community when someone imparts a piece of village gossip to you or when you feel comfortable wandering into people’s houses uninvited just to have a chat. I love seeing the same people everywhere and piecing together people’s intertwining lives and relationships. I love building relationships with people be that the kids from school, who I am really starting to love to bits, someone from church, or even just the owner of the local Colmado (kind of like a corner shop). I’ve even grown to love the shouts of ‘Hello, I love you baby’ that come from the slightly suspicious groups of guys sitting on corners or guys on motorbikes who slow right down to hiss as they pass you, or builders who put down their tools to give their English practice of ‘Hello what is your name, I will love you forever baby’ their full attention.
As I write this I am sitting the thatched dining area where school assemblies are held, surrounded by fields of banana trees that stretch up to the green mountains. When I pause in my typing I love just listening to the noise of the village. I can hear music from the bar, and the clang of big iron cooking pots from next door as Mota starts preparing the evening meal for her family. I hear people shouting at each other over the makeshift fences that separate their back yards, where chickens scratch and fuss around under big sprawling mango trees that cast deep shade in the hot sun. I can hear the roar of motorbikes as they speed up after crossing the speed bump outside school and the chirpings of the tiny birds that live in the huge palm tree that grows over our house. Over it all I can hear the chatter and squeals of children that I know and teach as they ride their bikes and play in the street.

As I sit here listening, with the sun shining, banana trees swaying and one of next door’s hens and her brood of tiny cheeping chicks pecking round my flip flop tan lined feet, I realise how lucky I am. This is the most amazing, crazy, incredible experience; the next few months can’t go slow enough because right now, I just never want it to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment